Yoga and meditation have been known to be deeply related and their practice together promotes mental, emotional, and physical well-being. Combining the mindfulness of meditation with the movements of yoga can lead to a great sense of inner peace and harmony.
There are many yoga asanas that incorporate the art of meditation so that you can get the best of both worlds when engaging in this centuries-old physical activity. While yoga can improve your posture, increase strength, aid flexibility and increase muscle tone, meditation can help clear your mind, attain peace, make you more aware and help you surrender to your surroundings. In this blog, let us look at some of the best yoga poses to practise while meditating.
Cross-Legged Easy Pose (Sukhasana)
The classic Easy Pose is probably the most common pose to start your meditation and yoga journey. And it’s one of the easier poses that can be practised anywhere and by people of all age groups.
– Sit on the floor with your legs crossed, spine elongated, and palms resting on your knees. This comfortable seated position promotes an open chest, erect posture, and balanced energy flow.
– Gently close your eyes, turn your attention inward, and focus on your breath.
Lotus Pose (Padmasana)
The Lotus Pose is the more advanced cousin of the Easy Pose and requires slightly more flexibility.
– Cross your legs with each foot resting on the opposite thigh.
– Stretch your hands, open your palms and rest them on your knees.
The Lotus pose is one of the most popular meditation poses practised by millions every day.
Seated Forward Bend (Paschimottanasana)
The Seated Forward Bend asana is somewhat tricky to do because it requires a good deal of flexibility in the lower spine. But it’s also highly effective to meditate and release tension.
– Stretch your spine and hamstrings with the Seated Forward Bend.
– Sit down on the floor and extend your legs forward.. Reach forward, hinging at your hips, and gently hold onto your feet or ankles.
Child’s Pose (Balasana)
The Child’s Pose offers a comforting resting position to contemplate and restore your energy.
– Kneel on the floor, touch your big toes together, and sit back on your heels while extending your arms forward.
This pose encourages deep relaxation and introspection.
Corpse Pose (Savasana)
Sometimes considered the final relaxation pose, Savasana helps you fully integrate your meditation practice into your yoga routine and is one of the easiest yoga poses that facilitates meditation.
– Lie flat on your back, legs comfortably apart, arms relaxed at your sides, and palms facing up.
– Close your eyes and focus on your breath, letting go of any physical or mental tension.
Seated Half-Spinal Twist (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
Although the Seated Half-Spinal Twist pose sounds like a mouthful, it can really enhance your spine’s flexibility and promote digestion. This still pose is also very effective for meditation.
– Sit with your legs extended, bend your right knee, and place your right foot outside your left thigh.
– Gently twist to the right, using your left arm as support and your right hand on the floor behind you.
The seated half-spinal twist is an excellent pose that can combine the power of meditation while also allowing for light stretching and flexibility of your back, neck and leg muscles.
Legs Up the Wall Pose (Viparita Karani)
The Legs Up The Wall Pose is excellent for meditation and can be a great way to finish up your yoga routine.
– Lie on your back with your legs extended up the wall.
– Stretch your arms to the sides and rest them on the floor extended.
This pose encourages relaxation, improves circulation, and eases tension in the legs and lower back, setting the stage for a serene meditation experience.
Combining yoga with meditation is highly beneficial since it works on both the body and the mind. Get the FITPASS app to easily find excellent yoga classes in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and other metro cities and start your yoga and meditation journey. Incorporate the above yoga asanas into your routine, practise them regularly and you’re bound to see your significant improvements not just in your body but also in your mind.
What is a recommended pose for seated meditation?
The Cross-Legged Easy Pose and the Lotus Pose are excellent poses for seated meditation.
Are there any standing poses that can be practised during meditation?
Yes. The Tree Pose and the Mountain Pose are effective standing poses that can be perfect for meditation.
How can I incorporate gentle stretches into my meditation practice?
You can incorporate gentle stretches into your meditation practice by practising various yoga poses that facilitate the stretching of joints and muscles. For example, the Balasana or Child’s Pose and Seated Forward Bend poses can help you meditate while also allowing for gentle stretching of the back muscles and spine.